TIPNG UNCAC (Chapter II) Civil Society Report 2021
With the aim of contributing to the second cycle of the national UNCAC implementation review in Papua New Guinea (PNG), this parallel report was written by TIPNG using the guidance materials and report template designed by the UNCAC Coalition and Transparency International. The production of this report was supported by the UNCAC Coalition, made possible with funding provided by the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark (Danida).
Recommendations of Priority Actions in the report:
1. The National Anti-Corruption Strategy Taskforce (NASTF) must hold regular meetings.
2. Each state agency should develop an internal anti-corruption strategy.
3. Wide consultation is required to ensure a thorough regulatory framework for OLICAC.
4. Amendments to go beyond the traditional employer-employee relationship need to be made to the whistleblower legislation to ensure its effectiveness.
5. Ensure that sanctions under the Leadership Code and the Organic Law on Duties and Responsibilities of Leaders are proportionate and compel reporting by public officials.
6. Amendments are required to the OLIPPAC to ensure it is constitutional and followed.
7. Creation of a legal basis for beneficial ownership data to be collected and shared.
8. Operationalisation of PNG’s e-procurement system with reference to global standards.
9. Support is required for the national chapters of EITI and OGP to achieve their broad objectives, and specifically to enact a Freedom of Information law.