Notice to Bid – PAIS National Consultant
Transparency International Papua New Guinea (TIPNG) is the national chapter of the global Transparency International Movement. TIPNG was formed in 1997 by a group of concerned citizens, headed by the Late Sir Anthony Siaguru, with the aim of combating corruption and promoting openness, honesty and accountability in public and private dealings.
The National Integrity System of Papua New Guinea comprises agencies in the comprise the executive, legislature, judiciary, the public sector, the main public watchdog institutions (e.g. supreme audit institution, law enforcement agencies), as well as political parties, the media, civil society and business as the primary social forces which are active in the governance arena and will soon hopefully be augment by the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) for which as an Organic Law has just had its second reading in Parliament.
TIPNG is seeking an experienced consultant to undertake an update of the National Integrity System (NIS) Assessment of PNG, since the last report released in 2003. The primary purpose of conducting a NIS update is to:
(a) assess whether there has been any progress over time with regards to the country’s integrity systems;
(b) identify specific changes (both positive and negative) which have occurred since the full NIS report was published; and to
(c) identify recommendations and advocacy priorities for improving the country’s integrity systems.
Description of Tasks
The primary tasks of the PAIS National Consultant are to:
- Identify and conduct interviews with key individuals and organisations (at least two interviews per pillar – one external expert and one official from the relevant institution), after consulting with TIPNG (and after notifying the government and getting any consent necessary to conduct the survey, should this be required)
- conduct survey, write and deliver the NIS report and provide NIS scores within the agreed timetable of 6 months and based on the standards laid out in the NIS toolkit
- Prepare for and attend the project inception workshop with the TIPNG Office
- Design a template for an Anti-Corruption Strategy Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) for use with Integrity Institutions
- Participate in monthly progress meetings with the TIPNG PAIS team
- Revise the draft NIS report based on feedback from the PAIS Team, advisory group and TIPNG
- If required by TIPNG, manage implementation of transparency field tests
- Conduct a participatory mapping session
- Conduct NIS Assessment validation meetings
- Conduct subsequent internal strategizing and action planning workshop with Integrity Institutions
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
The lead consultant should have the following qualifications:
- Background in political science, public administration, law or another related social science
- Proven expertise in political-institutional analysis, with particularly strong knowledge of Papua New Guinea’s governance and justice systems
- Excellent understanding of the legal framework and actual practice of the country’s major governance institutions
- Familiarity with transparency, accountability and anti-corruption discourse
- Ability to write succinctly and for a non-academic audience
- Proven commitment to practical policy reform and evidence-based advocacy in the field of anti-corruption and good governance
- Experience in working with/applying quantitative indicators and rating methodologies.
- Experience using participatory research techniques
- Compliance with Investment Promotion Authority (IPA) requirements
- Compliance with International Revenue Commission (IRC) requirements
Terms of Reference
Submission and Deadline for Applications
- You may submit, by no later than 5:00 p.m., 10th July 2020, any queries that you have relating to this Invitation to Tender. Please submit such queries by e-mail, or hard copy to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Query Regarding the updating of the NIS Assessment 2020”. Any queries should clearly reference any appropriate paragraph in the documentation and, to the extent possible, should be aggregated rather than sent individually. As far as reasonably possible, we will respond to all queries pertaining to this Invitation and supporting documents, if made before the above deadline. TIPNG will aim to provide responses by 5:00 p.m., 9th July 2020, after which time no further queries will be answered.
- You must inform TIPNG in writing if there is any change in control, composition or membership of your organization or your consortium members subsequent to your expression of interest in this procurement process. TIPNG reserves the right to disqualify you from the procurement process as a result of any such change.
- You must state if you will be using any third-party contractors to deliver the Services and ensure that all relevant terms and conditions are applied within any relevant sub-contract. You will be fully responsible as the prime contractor for all third-party sub-contractors.
Preparation and Format of Responses
- Responses, all documents and all correspondence relating to the tender must be written in English.
- You should consider only the information contained within this Invitation to Tender and supporting documents, or otherwise formally communicated to you in writing when making your offer.
Please note that only the shortlisted bidders will be contacted for interviews within 1 working days of the bid closure.
Transparency International PNG Inc.
P.O. Box 591, PORT MORESBY
Section 54 Lot 31, Lokua Avenue, BOROKO, National Capital District
Ph: (675) 3234917 / 3237517